- Lisa Belkin at The New York Times Motherlode blog writes about the issue of redshirting, in light of the recent decision made by the state of Connecticut to consider changing its cutoff date to keep 4 year-olds out of kindergarten. The age at which children start kindergarten has never been without controversy, but the topic always makes for an interesting debate where issues of academic vs. emotional preparedness, gender differences, and socioeconmic inequalities come into play.
- It's only May, but 2011 has already been hailed as the Deadliest Year For Twisters Since 1950. It may not be the best time to live in tornado alley, but at least we can do our part to help, and take the opportunity to teach our children about the importance of helping those in need. You can donate items like clothing, toys, and toiletries at many local St. Louis malls, or check out articles like Ways Kids Can Assist Tornado Victims for more ideas.
- A post from Amy at Just West of Crunchy found tremendous popularity on Facebook and Twitter. Top 10 Things Breastfeeding Advocates Should Stop Saying seems to have hit a nerve among both breastfeeding and formula-feeding moms everywhere ...
- The FDA is seizing birth pools, for reasons that are a complete mystery to me. But if you're interested in having a home water birth in the future, you may have to use your bath tub or invest in a kiddie pool from Toys R Us (which I've actually heard is a great option). At first, I thought this was just an internet rumor, but it appears that Barbara Harper (founder of Waterbirth International) is involved, so I think the story is legitimate.
- And last, but definitely not least, I have three words to kick off your Memorial Day celebration: Strawberry Jello Shots. As in, jello shots that you make inside of fresh strawberries. The pictures of these things over at My Thirty Spot (my new favorite non-mom blog now that I have officially accepted my status as a thirtysomething) are absolutely mouthwatering. Seriously. Go. Read. Make. You won't be disappointed.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Sunday Surfing Again: Kindergarten Controversy, Jello Shots, and More From the Mommy Wars
As usual, there are many interesting discssions taking place in the parenting world this week. Here are just a few that I think are worth reading about.